Searching for off-campus housing should not be a daunting task. To ensure you are making the best decision, here is a list of questions you should ask of any housing company.
- Is it a group lease? What happens if one roommate leaves?
- What pricing options are available? Which option fits my budget?
- Can we get a cheaper rate if we rent the entire unit?
- How long is the lease term?
- Can I sublet?
- Is there a charge if I terminate early?
- Is there a deadline to terminate my lease for the end of the school year?
- Is there a fee for someone to take over my lease?
- Does my rent increase every year?
…and everything else!
- Do I get rewarded for referring a friend?
- Can two or more people live in the same room?
- What furniture do you provide? What if we only need certain pieces of furniture?
- What happens if the building is not built on time?
- Can you guarantee everyone in my unit to be of the same gender?
Your Utilities and Amenities
- How far are the properties from my school? Are there bus stops close by?
- Is Internet included? If so, is it high speed? Is it unlimited?
- Does the unit have a dishwasher?
- Does the unit have A/C?
- What utilities are included in my rent? What utilities do I need to pay extra for?
- Do the buildings have a study area?
- What extra amenities are available to me?
- Do the buildings have bike storage? Is there a fee?
- Do the buildings have parking? Outdoor or indoor? Is there a fee?
- Do you have a discount for renting parking for more than 4 months?
- Is guest parking available? Is there a fee? How long does a guest pass last?
- Do the buildings have laundry facilities? How do I pay to do laundry?
- Are there food facilities in/near the buildings? Do tenants get a discount?
- Is there a fee for sublet parking? Can I transfer my parking to my sublet?
- Why is hydro not included?
Your Security and Maintenance
- Do you have security guards available 24 hours a day?
- Are maintenance issues guaranteed to be resolved within 24 hours? Is there a fee?
- Will maintenance solve minor issues such as a toilet clog or light bulb replacement?
- Can I get the contact information of future roommates?
- Are there cleaning services that can be provided for my room?
- How often are the common areas cleaned?
- Who takes care of the landscaping and snow removal?
- Is there a fee if I lock myself out of my unit?
- How fast will someone respond to my questions and/or concerns?
- Is there someone I can reach at any time of the day, including weekends and holidays, for emergencies, general questions and/or concerns?